Wednesday 2 January 2013

Food Problems

Having serious probs with Thai food.  We always knew that my aversion to green Thai Curry and things  high in chilli didnt forebode well for my stay, but I am suffering with 2 other ingredients.  Sugar   - they add it to everything!!!  Last night I sent salad back several times before they got the message not to smother it with sugar sauce.  Its added to fried rice, all savoury sauces, fruit juices and soup.  So far I have only had one really high blood sugar reading but you have to be on your guard the whole time.  Its really worrying me that I wont get through the rest of my 3 weeks here without a serious problem.  Right now I am wide awake again after just 2 hrs sleep.  This happened last night, and I put it down to jet lag and my body clock thinking it was not bed time.  I have been tired all day, had an early meal and half a bottle of wine.  Again after 2 hrs sleep, I am wide awake.  Tonight I realise that I am also sweating like a pig despite the air con keeping the room at 22 c.  I now can see that this my allergic reaction to monosodium glutamate kicking in. I specifically asked that they kept it out of my meal tonight.  To be honest it has to be a really high level for me to react like this, as I cope with small amounts of it OK.

I know that Thais find it difficult to understand European food preferences. For instance tonight beautiful bottle of red wine (Chilean Cab Sauv) turned up in an ice bucket and the 3 wine glasses were full of ice.  Hell did I shout! Luckily the wine was not poured and  it soon recovered. Maybe they didnt realise the requests for leaving out flavour enhancers were for serious health issues.  The only solution I can think of right now is self catering, which was not what I wanted. Blood sugar is 8.5 which is just marginally above limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment