Thursday 24 January 2013

Sydney


After an overnight flight from Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur, I arrived in Sydney at 11 am on Jan 22nd 2013. First problem was the taxi I booked didnt show up, so I used the airport taxi rank – OMG how expensive was that. Its a comparable journey from my own hoe to Heathrow but cost £60 as opposed to the UK £35. The route took me over The Harbour Bridge. Initial impressions was that Isambard Brunel Kingdom had been here, and that if you have ever driven over The Tyne Bridge, you would have a feel for this bridge too. Luckily the guest house booking was fine and my room at Glenferrie Lodge was ready A shower followed by a few hours kip was just what I needed.

I then set off to explore the locality of Kirribilli. How beautiful! The area is a wealth of Art Deco architecture, and the guest house has some fine original features. Its considered an very well off neighbourhood, and is the location of This is a period of design I just love. At the end of the road I turned towards a small cove and get my first glimpse of Sydney Harbour. The Opera house looks smaller than I had expected against the back drop of skyscrappers, but I later discover this is an illusion. The temperature is mid 20's so much cooler than Thailand, and I find it very comfortable to walk, so I wander along the foreshore to Milsons point.  The ups and downs of the rocky coastline means this was possibly not the kindest thing for my knees, but no lasting damage was done, and later I took a ferry into Circular Quay to explore the vibrant area around the Opera House, where I resolved to see La Boheme the next night.

For my only full day in Sydney I went on the open double decker sightseeing tour that took me everywhere, including Bondi   http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/australia/sydney.htm#tourlandingposition Sydney is built on a numerous headlands, spits points and ismuths (I once had a neighbour I used to refer to as ismuth, as she had a long neck sticking out to see), that form inlets and coves that would have made Slatty Bartfast proud. This gives to an interesting geography where sea travel is essential to join up all the communities. There is a great ferry system, which is efficient and punctual where everything docks at Circular Quay.

Everywhere was awesome and the cool breeze made it a very pleasant day. Bondi reminded me of Mawgan Porth in Cornwall. The waves were not as big as I had imagined. I am not sure why I found it so reminiscent, and it is now more than 10 yrs since I went to Mawgan Porth, so my memory is probably warped. Its also interesting to note, that although the Aussies are big on sun protection, there were no parasols or shades available on the beach as there are in many other tropical and sub tropical resorts.

After a quick refresh back at base, I then went to The Opera House to see La Boheme, which was absolutely brilliant, and will live with me for many years to come. The inside of The Opera House reminded me in parts of The Barbican – large swathes of concrete caverns, and over priced sarnies.

My 3rd day was only a few hours in Sydney, and I decided that after the good hot buffet breakfast provided by the guest house, I would just soak up the sunshine in their garden while catching up on my blog and onward itinery. The driver from the guest house ( £15 cheaper than a taxi) drove me back along The Harbour Bridge. Its not surprising that it felt like the Tyne Bridge, as it was designed and built by the same team, who based both on New York's Hell's Gate Bridge. My driver went on to tell me about the place I stayed in. It was built as a rest and respite care lodging for bridge workers in the 1930's when art deco was at its peak. The rest of the area grew up around it once the bridge was open, and is now home to many famous people.

48 hrs was not enough time to explore this lovely city, and all too soon I was at the airport on my way to catch up with my Brisbane family

No comments:

Post a Comment