Thursday 28 February 2013

Rotorua, Taupo and Mountains


 I took my leave of Patrick on the Wednesday, as he was going to be leaving for a tour of Brazil teaching SKHM before I was due to return to Matakana, and started the drive to Rotorua. Being used to UK driving, it really surprised me how restrictive the speed limits were, and consequently how long it took to get anywhere. The drive was uneventful, and as at the time of writing this, it would seem I somehow got down there without getting any speeding tickets. The road was good quality duel carriageway most of the way, and not very busy by my standards. As I drove over the hills ringing Rotorua, my first glimpse of the town and lake told me I was looking down into the biggest volcanic crater I had ever seen. Of course Lake Taupo is much much biggger, but I hadn't yet seen it.

Finding the backpackers hostel (Spa Lodge) I had booked into was easy (I don't use satnav, cos I rarely cant find my way). The welcome and service at the hostel was impressive, and soon I was walking around town exploring what was what. One of the nice things about checking in was they had upgraded me from a single to double bedded room. As usual, I spent time just sitting at the waters edge watching life go by. This time there were helicopter landing on the jetties for sightseeing trips, not something I could afford! I wanted to tell myself that this was mindful of the Swiss Lakes, but the feeling really wasn't there, so then I focussed on Windermere, and the UK Lake District. Nope this wasn't like that either, this was Rotorua and had its own feel. I walked through a small park to get a slightly elevated view of the lake, but my feet and knee didnt want to explore more so I wandered back to the hostel, via the supermarket to fix dinner. I like hostels lots more than hotels because of the camaraderie and homeliness. I sat and talked with other 'inmates' and then went for a soak in the spa, which was over 40 degrees so I didnt stay in long, but it did soothe the feet and knee.

I slept well that night, and after a convivial breakfast in the guests kitchen drove to Kuirau Park on the outskirts of town that has a fair bit of geothermal activity. This was a public area with no charge to wander through. I parked near a children's playground, where a nearby kindergarten had taken maybe as many as 20 children out to play. All the children and staff were wearing high viz jerkins with the name of the school on them. There was no fence around the playground, and I marvelled at this display of freedom, and common sense. You would never be allowed to take kids out of a school like that in UK.

The hot springs and mud pools were fascinating. Every area was fenced and there were signs telling you to keep to the paths, which were along lines that were less likely to spontaneously become hot spots, which does happen on rare occasions. Non the less there were many orientals who didnt seem to appreciate it. I didnt see anyone become chink soup but there are stories of this happening.

After a picnic lunch, I went down to the Maori village of Ohinemutu on the shores of Lake Rotorua. This is a working village, and not one that charges admission and then puts on a display of dancing and entertainment for tourists. The architecture is all the same Tudor type of build, but instead of black timbers, they are a reddish brown colour. There was a large Marae, and when someone opened the doors, I could see it was full of ordinary chairs like any meeting hall or parish room. There was also a community centre and through the open doors I could see a class in progress where men dressed in jeans or shorts and (sometimes) singlets or T-shirts were practising their traditional dances and chants like the Haka done at the start of rugby matches. Later they moved outside to the grass by the water, which was easier to watch.

The centrepiece of the village is a lovely little church called St Faiths. Unfortunately you were not allowed to take photos inside and I popped back several times to see if it was empty, to break that rule as there was a very clever window in the side chapel. The window was plain glass, etched with a picture of Jesus. When you got far enough away from it it looked like he was walking on Lake Rotorua, as the window overlooked the lake. I later went to the souvenir shop, where I had a chat with the Maori lady running it about how they can reconcile their traditional faith with Christianity. She thought my question was surprising as she didnt have a problem that there was one God (or whatever you wanted to call it/him/her) and also to have lots of minor or demi gods and goddesses. How refreshing was this to my ears, and how like my own belief system. She said they always would off a prayer to the god of water before going fishing – why not? It takes a little time and you always want to be safe and also have a good catch, so why take chances? We talked more, and I could see how similar one earth based religion is to another. One difference I did see was that she never mentioned fire as an element.

After leaving I went along to another area of geothermal activity called Sulphur Point. I watched some wader birds in the mud but really didnt feel like wandering through more hot spots. I was still considering the conversation I had just had with the Maori, and soon went back to the hostel, via the supermarket.

NZ supermarkets are much the same as any except they are smaller and dont have half the choice we have. Imported food seems to be a little more expensive than for us, but local produce cheaper. Of course peaches and apricots are local for them, they grow all their salad crops and most veggies. Apples, pears and grapes are also local and therefore cheap. Meat seems much the same price, but lamb is far cheaper – no surprise there eh? The quality of food in NZ is way above that in the UK though, even the pre packed bags of salad taste fresh. I was disappointed with the quality of the bread though. No instore bakeries and only factory produced bread, and again not much choice. However village shops that include bakeries and butchers are common, and the lack of choice in supermarkets is what allows town and village shops to survive by offering alternatives. Fish shops are also plentiful. Many fried fish outlets will also sell fresh fish, and the NZ 'chippy' is as common place as in UK. However, nowhere is more than a few hours from the sea and the fish is extremely fresh. It doesnt go through big wholesale markets before getting to the customer. Greengrocers as we know them dont seem to exist. Instead there are road side stalls selling produce straight from the fields, some are big comprehensively stocked shops, others smallholding outlets with just a few things. Of course this works in a sparsely populated country where the largest city has only 1.5m people. You would be stuffed living in Chelsea is you had to drive out to Guildford for fresh produce in UK.

On Friday I packed up to make my way to Hastings via Taupo. My aim was to get to Hastings around 4.30pm to stay with Chris, who was one of my best buddies in the days when our kids were at kindergarten together. I was on a tight timetable this weekend, and I didn't want to miss anything. Only 30 mins down the road, between Rotorua and Taupo was my main sightseeing stop of the day, Wai O Tapu, the home of the Lady Knox Geyser, which blew every day at 10.15. I was intrigued to know how something could be so precise with its timing when much of this nature is unpredictable. The story was wonderful and explained all. In1901 the first open prison in New Zealand was established at Wai O Tapu, its object to accommodate some of the better behaved prisoners from around the jails of the Rotorua Lakes District. It was a gang of those prisoners who first discovered the clearing in which the geyser is situated and they realised that they no longer had to cut wood to make fires to boil water to wash their clothes. However when they added soap to their wash pool the geyser erupted and their smalls were distributed far and wide. Today's science explains this as being the addition of surfactants to 2 liquids of different temps being held apart only by their surface tension. The soap breaks this tension and an eruptions happens. This is used today to evoke an eruption each day at 10.15am using eco friendly surfactant especially made for this use.

The rest of the area was an amazing walk through geo active areas where water was coloured through the minerals in it to any colour of the rainbow. After 2 hours I had to leave so as to keep within my time frame, furthermore my blood sugars were low and it was lunchtime.


On the outskirts of Taupo I saw signs to Huka Falls. Chris had told me these were well worth looking at, so I did, and they were! I viewed them from 2 locations. This also meant for the 5th time that day I bumped into a German couple from the hostel! We decided that we should exchange visiting cards as the Universe certainly thought we had things in common. I then started the drive to Hastings, which was incredible. I knew it was going to be through mountains, but I really hadnt considered what the landscape would be like. I had been warned to make sure my car was fully fueled before leaving Rotorua, but the reality that there were no petrol stations for 130 km didnt really sink in until I began to drive the mountains, hills, more mountains, a plateau and even more mountains. This was the scenery for about an hour and a half. Some times you would pass a logging station or a farmstead. there were 3 or 4 small cafes, but no other provision. The single carriageway road continued up hill and down dale, mile after mile. I saw thousands of sheep and hundreds of cattle. There were quite few other vehicles on the road but nowhere much for anyone to stop. I felt very much like I had done when I went across the Nubian Dessert from Aswan to Abu Simbel, there there had been sand followed by sand and sand and more sand. Here there were mountains ad infinitum.

I was glad to reach a more varied landscape on the outskirts of Napier, and easily navigated to Chris' house in Hastings, arriving around 5. A cuppa and a natter later, and the years began to roll back from our last meeting. Chris was determined to show me as much about the Kiwi lifestyle she could in the brief time we had together. It was refreshing to see it through her eyes as a settler rather than a local who maybe took too much for granted. She prepared a good meal of local lamb and home grown salads. When I said how much I loved lamb she asked if I would like it again the next day, and went about hauling an enormous side of lamb out of the freezer. No chance of going hungry in this household, just like the old days when our kids were at nursery together!

No comments:

Post a Comment