Sunday 3 February 2013

Two Good Days


With only 2 days left in Brisbane, I felt I ought to get to do some serious tourist stuff. However, my arthritis and wonky knee were complaining loudly that hadn't had the right kind of exercise, and had been aggravated big time by walking down steep slopes around Nathan's area. Yesterday I had walked a lot so today I resolved not to walk much and to end the day with a swim on the South Bank.

I took a bus into town and then another out to an Opal museum. It was small but very informative with an enthusiastic owner who happily rattled on about anything you wanted to know about opals. Some opals are in fact laminates. Doubles are a layer of opal on top of black granite or basalt, and trebles are doubles with a clear crystal – plastic, glass or quartz on top. http://www.brisbaneopalmuseum.com.au/

I spent the rest of the afternoon back at the beach on South Bank swimming. As I had decided to eat out by myself that evening, when I saw some students preforming something that was cross between Tai Chi and tribal dancing, I settled down to watch them with a plate of fish and chips. I dont know what on earth I was watching but it was very enjoyable. Quite a few of the circle of students had Brazilian flags on their tops, which might be a clue.

A good day


My last day in Brisbane was bit overcast and cooler, which was perfect for the trip I had planned to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. I wasnt too sure that this was actually going to be 'my bag', although I did want to meet a koala face to face. In fact I found the whole thing awesome. I cuddled a koala and fed kangaroos. I told the ticket office I was a UK pensioner, and they said in that case you are a concession here - no need to prove it one way or the other. I was expecting to be ripped off left right and centre but that wasn't the case, so another successful day.

That evening Nathan and I headed over to South bank again to meet Troy and Tania, for drinks, more drinks, chat and more chat, more drinks and finally a lovely meal at a pub along the lively Grey Street.

Happy days and good friends.

Tomorrow morning its goodbye Brisbane and hello Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment